The beach is a fantastic location for family photography for many reasons. Firstly, the stunning natural scenery and picturesque landscapes of the beach make for an excellent backdrop for family photos. The soft sand, crystal clear water, and beautiful sunsets create a serene and tranquil atmosphere that can be captured in photographs.
Secondly, the beach offers a lot of versatility when it comes to photoshoots. Whether you want to take candid or posed shots, action or still shots, or individual or group shots, the beach provides a variety of options for capturing the perfect family photo. You can also experiment with different angles and lighting to create unique and creative shots.
Finally, the beach is a great place to bring the whole family together for a fun and enjoyable day out. It’s an excellent opportunity to bond and capture special memories that you can cherish for years to come. So, if you’re looking for a beautiful and memorable location for your next family photoshoot, the beach is definitely worth considering!
Thinking of planning a family beach session? Here are some helpful tips and advice to get you started so that your family photo session is everything you dream of and more.
How to Plan Your Beach Family Session
Choose A Location
The first step is to choose a beach location for your family session. I always recommend picking a spot that has some kind of special meaning to you and your family. It is where you will all feel more relaxed and the photographs I make will feel even more sentimental.
Or maybe you just want to explore a new place and go on an adventure as a family. We are so lucky to live in Melbourne and to have so many amazing beaches around the coastline to choose from. Start by looking through my blog at family sessions that took place at a beach for ideas. Google Maps is also a great place to look for your perfect dream photography location.
Time Of Day And Week
The best time of day is always when your kids will be happiest. Well rested, fed, and full of energy. The other thing to consider is when will be the best time of day for light. Some beaches don’t offer much in the way of shade. Early morning and late afternoons/evenings are the best times for beach sessions special in summer when the sun is very bright.
Weekends will generally be busy in summer on the beach. If you would like more space and privacy, weekdays are best.
Coordinate Your Wardrobe
Family photography beach sessions can be a lot of fun, but it’s important to be prepared and dressed appropriately. Here are some tips on what to wear for your family photography beach session:
- Keep it casual: Beach sessions are typically more relaxed and casual than traditional studio sessions. Choose clothes that are comfortable and easy to move in, such as shorts, sundresses, or flowy tops.
- Consider the weather: Check the weather forecast before your session and dress accordingly. If it’s going to be hot and sunny, wear lightweight, breathable fabrics and bring hats or sunglasses to protect your eyes from the sun. If it’s going to be cooler, bring layers like sweaters or jackets.
- Coordinate, but don’t match: Coordinating your outfits can make for a more visually appealing photo, but don’t go overboard with matching outfits. Choose a color scheme or theme and have each family member wear something that fits in with that theme.
- Avoid busy patterns: Busy patterns and logos can be distracting in photos. Stick to solid colors or subtle patterns.
- Shoes matter: You’ll likely be walking on sand, so choose footwear that is comfortable and appropriate for the beach. Sandals, flip-flops, or even barefoot are all good options.
Remember, the most important thing is to feel comfortable and confident in what you’re wearing. If you’re not sure what to wear, talk to your photographer. They can offer suggestions and help you choose outfits that will look great in your photos.
Looking for the perfect place for your family photo session? Check out my family session guide!
Share this story